March 22, 2012

The First Pair

Back in 2002 I wanted to be Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz for Halloween.  Naturally, I needed a pair of Ruby Slippers!  I scoured the internet and found an awesome website of fans who had re-created their own shoes.  These awesome people created amazing replicas using an actual blueprint for THE Ruby Slippers!  Using this blueprint and the strings of sequins you can buy from any craft store, I created this beautiful pair of shoes.  Keep in mind that this was a long time ago and I know SO much more now.



As you can see, the shoes are a bit ragged around the edges, but considering I didn't know what I was doing at the time, they turned out very nicely!  Since the sequins were in a string, the string edges did not cooperate at the edges.   


 If you check out the detailing of the bow on the shoe, you can see the glue smudges from the hot glue gun.  I didn't have any other adhesive at the time to glue the sequins to the shoe so I used what I had.  Knowing what I know now, I plan on remaking these someday with swarovski crystals with the awesome glue I use now. I also have a better way to place individual crystals in a straight line.


The Process:
First I found the supplies I needed and then began the hunt for the perfect pair of shoes.  I scoured eBay in the hopes of finding a perfect 1930s-40s pair but came across a big question: How would I know if these expensive shoes in perfect condition would actually fit?  I ended that nearly impossible search and scoured shoe stores for dyeable shoes and finally settled on a cheap-o pair from Payless.  

Since these shoes were dyeable and I had no idea how to dye them the right color, I bought red glitter spray paint and used that to color the shoes.  Then I spent hours and hours with a glue gun and cutting and gluing strips of sequins.  (I do not recommend, and will never use a glue gun for crystals!!!!)

(Cat photobomb!)

 They look pretty darn good if I say so myself :)


 It's safe to say that these shoes were the beginning of something beautiful.  10 years later and I've grown a lot and understand that quality goes a long way.  I love these shoes, but I can't wait to use crystals to make another, even better pair!!

No comments:

Post a Comment